A funny thing happened the other day. Well, I guess it won’t seem too funny in the next couple of weeks when our recycling bin is overflowing. See, here’s what happened. Thursday is trash day at our house, with every other week also being recycling day. The houses on the opposite side of the street have opposite recycling weeks. So, as we were driving home from church Wednesday night, the dear husband groaned that it was trash night. As we pulled onto our street, already lined with trash bins, he also commented that he thought it was recycling week, but no one had their recycling bin out. Then we noticed that a neighbor on the other side of the street did have his recycling bin out. Dear husband then concluded that he must’ve remembered incorrectly, so only put out the garbage bins. Thursday morning, bright and early, while I was out watering flowers, the recycling truck rumbled down my street…and picked up the lone recycling bin, two doors down. Oops. He was right – it was recycling week! The thought that struck me was that my husband should have trusted what he knew to be true.
Oh, yeah. I felt the irony in that statement. How often are we stressed or confused or fearful because we’re not trusting what we know to be true? Which truths am I talking about? The only truths there are – the ones that come from God Himself. Let’s rehearse a few of these truths:
- We can do all things through Christ Who strengthens us. Phil 4:13
- He is faithful. 1 Thes 5:11
- He has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and love and a strong mind. 2 Tim 1:7
- By His wounds, we are healed. 1 Pet 2:24
- Jesus calls us friend. John 15:15
- He makes us free. John 8:36
- He will never leave us or forsake us. Josh 1:5, Heb 13:5
- He has chosen us. Is 41:9
- He will give us the desires of our hearts – when we delight ourselves in Him. Ps 37:4
- God knows what we have need of. Matt 6:8
- He will meet our needs. Phil 4:19
- He loves us…enough to die for us. John 3:16
Remarkably, these are just a few of the incredible promises our God has made to us! (As my pastor would say, if you’re not shouting, you just missed a good place!).
So….whatcha gonna do? Trust your possibly misguided neighbors or hang onto God’s truth?
Be blessed and tell someone you love them!